[lit-ideas] Re: Dogs

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:03:52 -0800

On Jan 23, 2006, at 7:27 PM, Ursula Stange wrote:

Really David, how can you put black labs in the same sentencewith biiiiig truuuuuucks? They are the suckiest dogs on the planet. Although I have heard some breeders suggest not to get them if you have small children. But that's because labs are big children. And will knock over small children in their silly eagerness to play. I can tell you've never owned a lab...
Ursula (who has owned 4 labs)

Well actually I think I do. I believe that the father half of what I've got--son a of purebred border collie, impregnated by a wandering dog--was a lab. Mac has an un-border collie obsession with tennis balls, is square in the shoulders, has no herding instinct. I like labs. I like some Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I like big dogs, all the way up to Bernese Mountain dog and Newfoundland. My equivalent of the Eric Yost's fantasy dog, the dog I think I'd like but will probably never own, is the Scottish Deerhound, good for practically nothing except taking down deer on one's vast Highland estate.

No, the dogs I see up at the park are definitely part lab. Black labs hereabouts are not sucky dogs. They are expensive hunting dogs, and the castoff ones, the ones who do not make the grade are sometimes unpleasant.

But I agree with Lawrence. It's all in the training and socialization. All breeds come in a range of temperaments. And an idiot in charge of an animal is like an idiot in charge of a truuuuck, an idiot.

How strangely liberating it is to talk of our love of dogs.

I suppose I'd better search out the border collie list. I bet half the posts are by the dogs themselves.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon