[lit-ideas] Re: Does the left need a spiritual dimension?

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:25:36 EST

In a message dated 2/10/2006 10:32:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I can't  imagine why people can't have a ready made
fellowship bettering humanity  and the earth instead of worshiping spirits,
but, obviously, they  can't.

Hi,

Of course they can!

Ever been to a Unitarian Church?

Ever heard of Unity Village?

Ever heard of the liberal traditions within Christianity?

Ever heard of the National Council of Churches? A lot of fundamentalists
dislike them--and some of their viewpoints, I think, go too far on the liberal
political side but they are doing so solely because they care about people and
the earth...have you ever read anything they put out?)

Other major liberal religious traditions?

(or some of the mystical aspects of each of them which focus on those  things
as well as the other--believing that we are all One and so worshipping
spirits comes with bettering humanity and the earth)

Every heard of Humanism?

and on and on...

Why is that, for some, there is such a narrow viewpoint of religion  when
there are so many varied aspects of it as well as belief...?

Best,
Marlena in Missouri