[lit-ideas] Discussion: Conjectures and Refutations -- Is "Faith" Out?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:26:56 EST

In a message dated 3/2/2009 10:06:02  A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"where" is not  a suburb as such, never mind a nice one. (The person alluded
to has a doctorate  in chemistry; is that D.Phil?; since Oxford gives
mathematicians a Batchelor of  Arts, it may well be).

----

A badge of  art.

----

Today, aol advertises the new of the day: face of Da  Vinci uncovered. As if
anybody cared!

Anyway, from the Diary of  Popper:

"Today I have to answer this letter. It comes from someone  who obviously
knows me very well, one Donal McEvoy"

Lady Popper: Where  is he writing from?

Sir Karl: London.

Lady Popper: What zip  code?

Sir Karl: zip my zipper.

Lady Popper: But you have shopping  to do -- and the dog.

Popper stands up and goes to his  room,

Dear  Donal

crosses this out,

starts  anew

Dear  McEvoy,

... and the rest is history.

That night, he wrote,  "History works in a mysterious way. There's the
butterfly effect, and there's  the madama butterfly effect. I feel like Madama
Butterfly today -- I have _one_  admirer! And he loves me and I love him! Then
there's the Cleopatra's Nose  effect, I love my nose and I trust McEvoy has a
nice
one  too."

Cheers,

JL