[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 22:13:04 -0700

 Having a gun in a house does not make it safer; on the contrary, it makes
the house more
> dangerous.

ck: These are old stats, and this statement used to be true. But I do think
in some neighborhoods, having a gun (not "guns around the house") ready to
use by TRAINED adults against specific threats makes some sense. A lot of
caveats there, but re-read Julie's post. Still, changing one's habits first
(not taking walks alone with little kids in a druggy area, especially at
night)  makes a lot more sense than going to the shooting range.

Carol