[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:42:03 -0400

Andy: I hear in this a hankering for the good old days.

Well sometimes a bassoon can sound like a foghorn, I guess. But I was addressing John's point that people seldom stray outside their socioeconomic class these days, and fail to identify with anyone who is not precisely ... themself.

Part of this failure to understand seems rooted in the way community (a basic human need, not an old-fashioned sentiment) works out. What do people share? Shopping malls maybe, maybe highways. Other than that, our galvanizing community seems to consist of TV.

Everyone knows the jingles to ads and the feisty TV characters who reflect ... the viewers. Our lowest common denominator.