[lit-ideas] Re: Death by PP (used to be Poet Managers)

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:28:21 -0230

Ursula's use of PP is clearly not the use I typically see in classrooms. (Or as
used by candidates for positions within our Faculty and Departments) My
objection to PP is an objection to a technology for the representation of a
laundry-list of bullets of information: it undermines possibilities of genuine
thought and reflection. There is a kind of erotic energy that occurs within a
seminar discussion: it permeates the interlocutors and focusses attention on
the "we" in discussion. Such energy is sapped by the use of PP that requires
everybody's attention to be drawn away from each other to a screen in the far
corner of the room - a form of attention structured by a quest for information.

Walter O.
MUN

P.S. Since when has conversation on this List ever gone "personal." :-)