[lit-ideas] Re: David Mamet: Why I Am No Longer a 'Brain-Dead Liberal'

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:20:44 -0400

Wow, Mike, that was an choleric response.* It's just an essay about a guy changing his mind. You'd enjoy the full-text version, which has more literary examples of mind changing. Mailer on Godot is funny.

You are as surprising as you are passionate. I thought you'd pounce on this paragraph:

"Bush got us into Iraq, JFK into Vietnam. Bush stole the election in
Florida; Kennedy stole his in Chicago. Bush outed a CIA agent; Kennedy
left hundreds of them to die in the surf at the Bay of Pigs. Bush lied
about his military service; Kennedy accepted a Pulitzer Prize for a book
written by Ted Sorenson. Bush was in bed with the Saudis, Kennedy with
the Mafia. Oh."

Instead you chose to engage his "free-market" stuff. Poetry ... I too dislike it.

Best to all,
Eric

____
*
Reacting to Mamet, Mike cites, "greed ... hate(d) ... wallow in his justification of injustice ... neon screaming stretches of the coin-op culture ... them who can stand the stink kiss the asses of country clubbers."

Describing his preferences, Mike writes, "I prefer to work towards a just society. ... I prefer to dance with the winos."