[lit-ideas] Re: Dark Thoughts on Iraq

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:46:19 -0400

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 9/29/2005 11:32:16 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Dark Thoughts on Iraq

In a message dated 9/29/2005 10:26:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
What do you think of the post that Eric sent regarding the Scandinavian
countries being a successful blend of capitalistim and society, essenially a
capitalistic welfare state, where everybody wins, both business and individuals?
Hi,
Okay, fine.

That might work, too.  Okay, I'll even concede that it might work even better
than returning to a feudal society. (But, I LIKE my town! and I was imagining
quite the moat...)

But, no matter what. Can we be by ourselves? No one else, okay.  They want us
gone--so, let's go!

**A.A.  The tragedy being that we bombed them half way into the stone age and
now we leave.  Not that we have a choice.  If you're pissed off that the Iraqis
hate us for destroying their country and giving them chaos and daily death,
then it's only fair that you start appreciating what OBL did in NY.

It's not like we don't have enough to do to create that sort of society.  It
might take some time and energy.

**A.A.  Getting rid of the federal government smacks of Montana militas and the
Oklahoma bombing.  People don't stop to think that the federal government makes
life predictable.  For example, everywhere you go, a stair riser is the same
height because of the federal government. so you don't have to think about
where to put your foot.  You can just walk.  That milk always has the same
amount of fat in it, that mustard is made out of mustard seeds and not
flavoring, etc. etc. on and on into everything you never even think about that
works at it should is because of the federal government setting the standards
that things be so.

Regarding your little feudal town, is it so self sufficient that it need import
nothing?  What would you export to other towns to get money, and what currency
would you use to trade with these towns?  Also, if you lived in a feudal town,
would you like to be in the church, in the gentry, or where most people were, a
serf tied to the land so the baron would protect you from marauders in exchange
for a portion of what you made?  Those are feudal options.  This is like people
who know that in past lives they were a knight or a bar maid.  They take all
the conveniences they know today (flush toilets, heat/hot water, lots of food,
etc.) and superimpose them on an idealized past life existence, when in fact
they would have spent their past life being cold and hungry and smelly with
dirty hair most of the time until they died at 40 if they were lucky to live
that long.

Society is based on bridges, not moats, Marlena.  Be careful what you wish for,
especially since the way it stands we're moving into a world without a
functional federal government.

Andy Amago

Entertaining ideas of different forms of government and wondering if we'd be
missed,
Marlena in Missouri