[lit-ideas] Re: Crosswords, or Movies with Copious Wine

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 17:04:55 -0800

On Dec 24, 2006, at 11:19 AM, David Ritchie wrote:

I'm now hoping for an Aston Martin for Christmas. As are, I'm sure, a good number among the U.S. adult population. Maybe someone could start manufacturing a knock-off in China or Bhutan? Soon?

I now have another request, just in case Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, or someone with an extraordinary money surplus is lurking. My father, in his mid-eighties, this week picked up a book on how to fly planes, something he's always wanted to do. To feed this fantasy, today I bought him one of those magazines you can get at gas stations, full of classified ads, usually for cars or motor bikes. This one was for planes. Opening the thing at random, I came across an ad for replica Spitfire kits. I'd tell you what engine they use, but I've already wrapped the magazine in stocking-ready paper.

So, dear Santa Gates, if you're all out of Aston Martins, I'd really like a Spitfire and a few lessons on how to get the beast both into the air and safely down.

How cool would that be?!

p.s.--for those worried about fuel and other conspicuous consumption...I have no problem sharing the plane with everyone on the list. My humble needs only amount to the occasional dean-strafing run and maybe once around Mt. St. Helens now and then.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon