[lit-ideas] Re: Crosswords, or Movies with Copious Wine

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 15:12:42 EST

Okay, now that the puzzle thing has been brought up ...I'm curious (because
of the connection or disconnection of spacial relations and verbal
inclination)  to know -- those of you who enjoy crosswords, do you also enjoy
jigsaw
puzzles?  Or physical hand puzzles (don't know what they're called -- you
know,
the rings within one another, the wooden puzzles where you try to  disentangle
things or get the puzzle  back the way it was, etc.) -- Or  if you are a
crossword type, do you eschew the more graphic and less verbal of  the puzzles?

Or does making sense out of initially random elements cross  over between the
verbally and graphically gifted?  Is this a left-brain,  right-brain thing?

Julie Krueger
off to search for info on Eleanor Porter (don't even ask)

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Crosswords, or
Movies with Copious Wine  Date: 12/24/2006 1:20:05 P.M. Central Standard Time
From: _ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

On Dec 24, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Erin Holder  wrote:

> I used to, actually.  Then I ceased having time and an  interest (or
> maybe it was an interest and then time).  I also  liked making absurdly
> difficult word searches.  Ah, the glory and  vigor of youth.  Wait a
> sec, I still am a youth.  I  think.  Am I?  What's a youth?  Alas, no
> time for that  now.  It's "MOVIES WITH COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF WINE" day!
>  Hurrah!

I don't do crosswords; they're too much like the daily puzzles of  work,
a busman's holiday.  But this aversion doesn't stop occupants of  the
house asking me to disinter the names of rivers in France and other
dull facts which sometimes occupy that space in my brain which could be
taken up with, say, remembering people's names.  We watched a movie,
"Wordplay," about crossword puzzle people quite recently.  Those of you
who enjoy such puzzles may like the movie.  You'll get to see who among
our famous people does crosswords, and be impressed by folk who can, in
front of a large audience in a hotel room, solve a Sunday New York
Times  puzzle in about three minutes.

As for "Movies with Copious Wine"  day...

Music is a bit of a touchy subject hereabouts this a.m.  My  wife's
office staff tunes the radio to some sort of Christmas station and  she
isn't grinch enough to say "no."  But when she, a Jew, comes home,  the
last thing she wants to hear is Christmas music.  I, a pagan or
something of that ilk, who spends much of the Christmas run-up in
silence, grading papers, look forward to a few days of Christmas music
just before Christmas.  Yesterday I put on a CD that wasn't even
Christmas music.  It was of a boy treble, his voice soaring over a
choir in a cathedral.  Quite wonderful.  My wife complained,  citing the
precedent of me complaining when she puts on contemporary  jazz.  (It's
a very solid precedent--I don't like jazz after World War  Two and when
she puts on contemporary jazz, I find I can listen to very  little of
such music before I have to leave the room.)  This morning I  could in
turn have cited last night's precedent, in true argumentative  fashion,
when she put on klezmer music for Christmas eve morn.   Instead, I have
come to write.  Christmas is the only time we run into  friction over
cultural heritage differences.  But we always do.   Ah, the price of not
marrying a Methodist.

Good cheer to end  with?  Yesterday evening we watched, "Scrooged,"
which was fine up  until the peroration.  Bill Murray gets a speech at
the end which hits  its theme in his second breath and then elaborates
in the manner of  Victorians.  Though the speech only takes a few
minutes to deliver, it  seems about Victorian length, on the order of
three hours.

On Friday,  after much running around and chasing new hearing aids--my
father's current  pastime--all of us except my wife (who was stuck at
work, listening to  Christmas music) popped into the new James Bond
movie.  Like Andreas,  we all thought it good.  I'm now hoping for an
Aston Martin for  Christmas.  As are, I'm sure, a good number among the
U.S. adult  population.  Maybe someone could start manufacturing a
knock-off in  China or Bhutan?  Soon?

David Ritchie,
wishing you all a merry  everything from
Portland,  Oregon