[lit-ideas] Re: Counterterrorism Blog: New Report/Chart: "State of the Su...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:39:15 EST

The notion of complex and highly nuanced (didn't I say this before?   maybe
somewhere else...) cultures, issues, religious beliefs, to say nothing of
actual individual people, being able to be explained in charts seems naive to
me.
 I doubt that flattery, aggravation, or appeasement are the only  options in
conflict.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Counterterrorism
Blog: New Report/Chart: "State of  the Su...  Date: 12/31/2006 11:37:27 A.M.
Central Standard Time  From: _cabrian@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:cabrian@xxxxxxxxx)
To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Julie, what do you mean here?  I assume you  are being ironic but I don't
understand it.

Regarding Somalia the NYT is _reporting_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/30/world/africa/30cnd-somalia.html?_r=1&hp&ex=1167541200&en=bbc3277a0a2db50b&ei=509
4&partner=homepage&oref=slogin)   that Ethiopians are advancing on to
Kismayo, the Islamists' last city.  It  is too early to call this a complete
victory
but the Ethiopians are hard  charging on this one.  _Money  quote_
(http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-future29dec29,1,5862887.story?track=r
ss) : "It's self-defense," said Amare  Aregawi, editor of the Reporter
newspaper and a former rebel fighter. "People  always say, 'Don't touch the
terrorists. You'll aggravate them.' What are we  supposed to do? Flatter them?"

~Brian
Birmingham, AL

On Dec 31, 2006, at 12:58 AM, _JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx)  wrote:

I'm waiting for charts on  Somolia, Darfur, Gaza, Timor, Indonesia (Sri Lanka
esp), and Kashmir.   When these charts are bar-graphed, line-graphed; and at
least 3-D  topical, political, and physical graphs color-coded in streaming
video from a  sattelite, I'll try to figure out who's right, who's wrong, who's
been naughty  and who's been nice, who to vote for, and to what charities to
contribute.

=