[lit-ideas] Re: Cosmopolitanism: Is the dream over?

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:44:45 -0800

Much has been written in recent years about America being at odds with the rest of the world. It is common knowledge that this is so. Who could dispute it? In a review of two books published in 2006 we learn that these matters aren't quite so cut and dried and we aren't at odds with as much of the world as we thought we were.

The books are Andre Kohut and Bruce Stokes, America Against the World: How we are Different and Why we are Disliked and Benjamin I. Page and Marshall Bouton, The Foreign Policy Disconnect: What Americans Want From Our Leaders but Don?t Get

The review, ?Mind the Gap,? is by Daniel W. Drezner and appears in the Jan/Feb 2007 issue of The National Interest.

Those who are critical of us have two areas of ?concern about how ordinary Americans think about the world. First, Americans are believed to hold inconsistent, inattentive, irrational and ill-considered opinions about how foreign policy should be conducted. Because Americans are so uninformed about foreign affairs, scholars and policy makers have historically argued that the public reacts to current events based on emotion rather than reason. This leads to a public with erratic mood swings about the foreign policy issues of the day. Policymakers in all countries fear the unpredictability of an electorate that can switch from ?stay the course? to ?cut and run? in response to a compelling news story.?

The second area of concern is that Americans hold naive and idealistic convictions about how U.S. foreign policy should operate, and . . . those beliefs make many people uncomfortable. In Politics Among the Nations, Hans Morgenthau fretted that, ?The statesman must think in terms of the national interest, conceived as power among other powers. The popular mind, unaware of the fine distinctions of the statesman?s thinking, reasons more often than not in the simple moralistic and legalistic terms of absolute good and absolute evil.? Because Americans operate on a moralistic system of beliefs, they are judged to be incapable of grasping the concept of a dispassionate, hard-headed national interest.?

Kohut and Stokes note that ?Americans are far more individualistic and optimistic than most other populations. On the role [of] government in society, Americans were distinct among the advanced industrialized states in valuing personal freedom from government interference over the provision of social safety nets. . . 65 percent of Americans disagreed with the statement that ?success in life is determined by forces outside our control? ? roughly thirty percentage points hither than in Europe. Americans possess a uniquely sunny faith in the wonders of technological innovation. ?In some ways, then, Americans are exceptional. However, Kohut and Stokes point out two ways in which this exceptionalism is overstated. First, the differences in base attitudes do not translate into differences on foreign policy issues. For example, even though Americans are far more religious than Europeans, there is no evidence that this religiosity factors into American attitudes about foreign policy. . . .?

?The surprise in America Against the World is that Europeans and not Americans are the truly exceptional public in the world. In contrast to the rest of the world, Europeans are the outliers when it comes to attitudes about nationalism and religion ? they?re turned off by both kinds of creeds. American levels of patriotism and devotion to God look perfectly normal when compared to the non-European parts of the globe. Kohut and Stokes conclude, ?This pattern recurs time and again: Americans are different from Europeans, especially Western Europeans, but they are closer to people in developing countries on many key attitudes and values.?

[COMMENT: I guess I knew that in regard to religion and should have known it in regard to nationalism but had never put it together before. I accepted the view that Europeans knew better how to get along with the rest of the world than we did. I was willing to set that aside because National Interest in regard to dealing with Militant Islam took precedence over getting along, but we could be in a better position in terms of the long haul than Europe is at getting along.

Bush seems demonized beyond retrieval, much as Joseph McCarthy has been. So granting that and moving on, it would be possible for some subsequent administration to capitalize upon the American religious and nationalistic orientation. Many nations are afraid of us just because we are so powerful, but if we could downplay our willingness to use the military power and cultivate the image of a benign Uncle Sam , we could leaving Europe wherever it is that they are.

Lawrence

At 02:36 PM 2/25/2007, Lawrence Helm wrote:
At 01:35 PM 2/25/2007, you wrote:
Is this funny ... in a funny sort of way? Any truths regarding political
multiculturalism or moral cosmopolitanism being expressed here?

Walter O.
Memorial U.

Last month, a survey was conducted by the U.N. Worldwide. The only
question asked  was:

"Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the food
shortage in the rest of the world?"

The survey was a HUGE failure.

In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.

In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.

In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.

In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.

In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.

In South America they didn't know what "please" meant.

And in the USA they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.

----- End forwarded message -----