[lit-ideas] Re: Correction [1]

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:50:04 -0800

Peter Junger wrote:

Robert Paul writes:

: I'll bet that most non-students have the same difficulty. You might : recast the problem by asking what 2 and other numerals refer to. Most of : us would be uncomfortable with the view that numbers—two and the rest : from zero/zed on—are, as are numerals, just marks on paper; but what : more they are isn't easy to say.

Does Russell's idea that that the number _n_ represents the set of
all sets with _n_ elements show a way out[?]

Where n = e.g., the number three, there's a difficulty in saying non-trivially which set three belongs to. If sets have numbers as members then the problem (if there is one) of saying what numbers
are is just delayed. If three is the set of all triples, then why isn't mathematics, insofar as it involves numbers, reduced to empirical procedures? (I'm taking counting _things_ to be an empirical procedure.)

I say this uncertainly, but I say it because three would still be three (would be the successor of two, for example) even if there were no countable objects. There is only one _three_, even though there may be
a number of figure 3s; there are mathematical formulas which may contain a great many 3s; still, they contain only one three, in the sense that each of the 3s refers to the same thing, and to only one thing.

: If behind each numeral there is a particular sort of Kantian noumenon, : (a number?) then the view that noumena are essentially unknowable : interferes with the belief that numbers have definite and specifiable : properties.

Properties of what?

Properties of numbers. I may have misunderstood the question: if it's properties such as what? then being the successor of another number, being greater or lesser than another number; being a prime; being rational, are properties that numbers may have e.g.

To generate all of the numbers, surely all that one needs are the
Peano postulates, so, since they can be constructed---as long as
one avoids transfinite numbers, at least---don't they have to have definite and specifiable properties? I don't see how the
reference to Kant and noumena fits in here. Although there are
those---probably including most mathematicians, except on Sundays---who think that numbers are Ideas. (On Sundays, so I understand, most mathematicians will say they are formalists.)

It was, it turns out, actually Dedekind who formulated 'Peano's Postulates.' But the postulates themselves assume the existence of numbers. They do not tell us what numbers are:

P1. 0 is a number
P2. The successor of any number is a number
P3. No two numbers have the same successor
P4. 0 is not the successor of any number
P5. If P is a property such that (a) 0 has the property P, and (b) whenever a number n has the property P, then the successor of n also has the property P, then every number has the property P.

[From http://www.meta-religion.com/Mathematics/Philosophy_of_mathematics/nature_of_mathematics_2.htm
which has a good brief discussion of the applicability of these axioms]

I've found that mathematicians profess not to care what numbers are, let alone what they _really_ are. 'What is a number?' is one of the two questions I always ask in math senior thesis orals. The other is 'What is a proof?' The latter is useful when the thesis candidate seems to be floundering; it usually sets the math faculty arguing among themselves.

As to the nature of numbers, I noted while googling for "what is
a number" that there is an essay by Louis H. Kauffman entitle "What is a Number?" at

<http://www.asc-cybernetics.org/organization/urbana/wian.html>.

[snip]

Thank you for this. You might enjoy Paul Benacerraf's 'What Numbers Could Not Be.' (If you have access to JSTOR, it's in the Philosophical Review, 1965.) There's a sketch of Benacerraf's position (a sceptical conclusion) in Wikepedia, under Structuralism, a critique at

http://hilton.org.uk/what_numbers_are_not.phtml

an interview at

www.stanford.edu/group/dualist/vol8/pdfs/benacerraf.pdf

and a further discussion at