[lit-ideas] Re: Conversation Without Implicature

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:14:08 -0700

JL wrote

--- One problem with Grice is Occam. Occam wrote, in Latin,

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."

Grice modified that. He called it "Modified Occam´s Razor":

_senses_ should not be multiplied beyond necessity.

E.g. "God". Pantheists use "God" to mean, er, "everything". Having read Grice quite a bit, I don't think I came across ANY idea by him or an example by him of a Polysemous word. He would think, as I do, that "God" is monosemous. One need distinguish, however, between monosemy and lack of ambiguity. Indeed, I speak of "uniguity" for lack of ambiguity. The only example Grice sort of alludes to is:

"Smith was caught in the grip of a vice".

He notes that "a vice" can be a tool of the sort that carpenters use. It can also be something "resembling a sin". This does NOT render the utterance above "ambiguous" because in fact, while Grice does not mention this, "vice" qua carpenter's tool comes from a Latin word related to "violence", while "vice" meaning "a sin" (the opposite of virtue) is not another "use" of the word "vice", but a different word altogether (Grice recognises this in "Meaning Revisited", in Way of Words).

I hope that Grice didn't say this. He surely knew the difference between a vice and a vise (whose etymology is not what is alleged above). Only in spoken English would 'Smith was caught...,'
be ambiguous.

I think someone is pulling our millipedian appendages.

Robert Paul