[lit-ideas] Re: Civilian casualties in Iraq

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 05:40:14 EST

I browsed around the current issue articles a bit, and found this.
_http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/01/holy_warrior.html_
(http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/01/holy_warrior.html)  re.  the
cartoons.

It's a curious sort of article.  Alternately spiking between hard core  left
stuff, interesting aspects of the situation I hadn't seen mentioned
elsewhere, thoughtful insights, and odd spin (it treats the protests as rather
benign....no mention of the violence of the protests -- arson, throwing knives
[sic]), etc.  However, here are two things that caught my attention because  I
had
not seen them elsewhere --

<<Of course, Muslim newspapers have long depicted Jews in similarly  hateful
ways as the Muhammad cartoons. Perhaps the uproar will lead them to
reconsider the practice--although considering that Iran has just announced that
 its
leading newspaper will run a series of cartoon satirising the Holocaust, the
chances are perhaps not that great. >>

That ought to cause some ....unrest....

and

<<The images were commissioned because the paper's editor was having  trouble
finding a cartoonist willing to caricature the Prophet, depictions of  whom
are prohibited according to Muslim tradition.>>

Huh?  The paper's editor commissioned a cartoonist to create cartoons
centered around Muhammad??  I'm missing something here.....

Julie Krueger