[lit-ideas] Re: Ciao!

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:52:11 -0700

on 8/21/05 3:38 PM, Erin Holder at erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Of course, I just went out and dropped a whole bunch of cash to replace all my
> shit - socks and underwear and toiletries, etc., and of course, when my friend
> and I returned back to his place there was a message waiting, saying that they
> had found everything and were shipping it out.
>
> Ah well.
>
> Erin
> Vancouver

You may still be able to stick the airline with the bill.  When I gave a
lecture in Toronto not long ago, United lost all my clothes and the a.v. and
stuff.  Usually I rely merely on words--with W.C. Fields I chant, "never
work with children or audio visual materials"-- but this time I got really
ambitious and was ready to fire off every machine they had in the place.
Having arrived twenty four hours early for the lecture, I thought "No prob,
they'll find the stuff and deliver it."  Four hours before the lecture,
after many repeated promises of delivery, I rushed around the Hudson Bay
Company store, puzzled that no one was going, "Is this REALLY the Hudson Bay
Company," treating it as if Hudson Bay and J.C. Penny were simultaneous
inventions (J.C. Penney was a Wyoming Gold Mining invention, circa--I'm sure
it's on the web--but off the top of my head say, 1850, a good deal later
than Mr. Hudson and his famous Bey Gelding) gathering up shirt and tie and
clean underwear and all things that go with giving a first class lecture.

My point is that the airline paid for the outfit.  It was merely a matter of
asking Jeeves to submit my bills.

Be warned that Vancouver is strangely lacking in good beer.  Be warned also
that Portland's best brewery's re-model has been delayed--probably by an
airline luggage agent--and that its re-opening will happen only after your
sojourn here.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon