[lit-ideas] Re: Christopher Hill and thinking for oneself

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 06:37:11 -0700

I distinguish between Journalists and historians.  I am not of course
arguing that one rethink everything -- that would be absurd.  We are going
to be held accountable for those we set over ourselves, but it is not
possible to avoid setting some people over us on some subjects.   We can't
investigate everything ourselves.  But we can choose wisely, or try to.  And
we can, if someone chooses to read us, show evidence that we are thinking
for ourselves.

Victor Davis Hanson is a reputable historian.  Niall Ferguson is also an
historian-- although I usually disagree with him rather than invoke him as
someone who has said something I agree with.

Andrew McCarthy is a former Assistant United States Attorney for the
Southern District of New York.  He led the 1995 terrorism prosecution
against Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman and eleven others. The defendants were
convicted of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and planning a series of
attacks against New York City landmarks.  He also contributed to the
prosecutions of terrorists who bombed US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. He
resigned from the Justice Department in 2003.  He strikes me has having some
credence when he speaks on subjects within his expertise.

Lawrence