[lit-ideas] Re: Christmas Trees

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:41:46 -0500

Does anyone on this list have any suggestions about what to say to someone
at this time of the year whose religious affiliation, or lack thereof, is
unknown?

Didn't this whole flap about 'happy holidays' start with right wing
Christians who were upset with the White House Christmas card which said
'holidays' not Christmas.  Don't these people know that Bushes, now and in
the future, need to get elected?

The global corporations are significant job producers, here and abroad.  If
we all stopped purchasing gifts, we would put people out of jobs.  And
believe it or not, a lot of people spend very little and also make some
gifts, including food.

Some people don't have it to spend either.  In Michigan, unemployment is
very high.  I was in a low cost chain last night, not Wal-Mart, and I was
astounded at how few people were in there.  From there, we went to a low
cost restaurant, and there was hardly anyone there either.  People here
need to be wished well, in whatever form.

Veronica