[lit-ideas] Re: Christmas Trees

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:17:23 -0500

Christmas isn't a religion holiday anyway.  There was no Christmas as we
know it before Clement Moore's poem Twas the Night before Christmas and I
think Dickens Christmas Carol too.  It's now a fundamental part of the
economy, or so they say (I don't know how much of that is myth).  There are
no references in the Bible for Jesus's birthday.  Dec. 25 was picked I
think because of Mythra's birthday and possibly other reasons.  The
Christmas Tree is also the Festival of Lights, bringing the light indoors
during the shortest days of the year.