[lit-ideas] Re: Christmas Trees

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:15:39 -0500

Mike: So, if Christmas trees are a religious symbol, does Eric oppose letting them be displayed on government property, including schools?

Christmas Trees are a religious symbol to the few who view them religiously. They are largely secular decorations--remember that they were pre-Christian symbols co-opted by the early church. But whether viewed as religious or merely seasonal, they are Christmas Trees.

While I would oppose the cross, the star of David, or the crescent on government property, I have no problem with the Christmas Tree, as a symbol of fun and seasonal observance. And as culture changes, if we come up with another seasonal symbol of fun and celebration, I would have no problem with that, or with calling it by its proper name.

No reason the West should have to give up its cultural heritage and traditions just to please global corporations.