[lit-ideas] Re: Christmas Trees

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 17:58:57 EST

My nieces & nephews get multiple Christmases at it is -- one w/ Mother,  one
w/ Father, one with each set of Grandparents....

We're finally starting what I hope proves to be a new wonderful tradition
this year, something myself and my step-daughter have been lobbying for for 4
years.  Christmas Day my husband and I will have his children (grown), 1  1/2
yr old grandson, and my children (adolescent) together for an  extended feast
and spend family time.  The night previous my girls will  have had Christmas
with their Dad.  Thursday after Christmas (not included  in the new tradition)
everyone is invited to my Mom's for more face-stuffing,  because my bro & his
wife will be in for 3 days from NY -- attendant will be  husband's kids, bro's
kids, my kids.   New Year's Day, having  spent a few days taking care of
post-Christmas Sales and avoiding last minute  Christmas shopping crowds,
husband
and myself will host snack-fest w/ his kids  and mine, and exchange presents.
My kids are old enough at this point to  understand the delayed gratification
of more presents per dollar.  New  Years Day presents.

Avoiding the fuss and muss of trying to fit 7 Christmases w/ extended,
step-, and divorced families into one day, we hope to bring a little more Good
Will to this home.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Christmas Trees
Date: 12/17/05 4:27:47 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
May I recommend a good history of Christmas in  America?  Stephen
Nissenbaum, "The Battle for Christmas."   Excellent on how the very
kind of people who are now crusading for  Christmas' holiness were the
strongest early naysayers.

My  brilliant idea today, as I drove past lines of cars backed up at
the  mall exit on the 217 freeway, was that we should do Christmas
like  they do potluck suppers--last name letters a-m get one date on
which  to celebrate, last name letters m-z get another date.  Thus you
spread the purchasing season, some people get two Christmases, and
there is all round less frenzy.

David Ritchie
Portland,  Oregon