[lit-ideas] Re: Cheap nano geese

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 04:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

I guess warmongers don't have much of a sense of humor except when they're
thinking about how they're going to improve the world by destroying it.  You
missed the joke completely. I don't, per se, hate the human race.  I don't even
know what that means.  Maybe you're right.  Maybe this is a good time for a
definition.  What does it mean to hate the human race?

  Okay, let me tell you my version of it.  I hate the hypocrisy of the human
race in virtuously extolling life while destroying 50,000 species per year, for
irreversibly destroying one acre of rain forest per second such that millions
of years of growth are gone in only 40 more years (40 more years), for
destroying the oceans and fresh water and air and thereby aiding and abetting
global warming, for hitting and otherwise mistreating the helpless (children)
and calling it love, for abusing older people because there is such a thing as
time, for millionaires and billionaires receiving tax breaks while the middle
class struggles (not even mentioning the poor), for killing 30 million with
bombs and napalm to make the world safe for democracy, and on and on and on,
and on.  For advocating starting a nuclear war to make themselves safe.  That,
Eric, is misanthropy in action.

  If your idea of loving yourself is knowing there's a bright tomorrow because
the enemy (other humans that you so love) will be exterminated, well then you
must love yourself dearly.  I would think somebody who used to work for
National Lampoon might recognize a spoof when he sees one, but apparently not.
So, Eric, be a misanthrope.  Be proud.  Since you don't plan on joining the
Army and rather plan on letting someone else do your dirty work for you in
destroying the humans you so love, give misanthropy a shot instead.  At least
it doesn't hurt anybody.  I tried to be humorous and it bounced right off of
you.  Maybe being serious is more to your liking.

Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Andy: Be a Misanthropist. Be Proud.

To be a misanthrope is to hate people. Yet you are a person.
So being proud of being a misanthrope is being proud of
hating people. Since you are a person, you are proud of
hating yourself.

"To be proud" can mean to feel pleasure in self-respect. Yet
if your self-respect is founded in hating people--and by
extension, hating yourself--then you are taking pleasure in
hating yourself.

The little Wilhelm Reich inside each us animadverts, "If you
are taking pleasure in hating yourself, you may believe you
need to be punished. Rather than live with the daily anxiety
of waiting to be punished, you punish yourself first, and
thus pre-empt punishment, but more importantly, reduce anxiety."

http://mail.yahoo.com