[lit-ideas] Re: Chasing Mohammed

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:55:41 -0800

Yes, this is an interesting article. Pim Fortuyn said things to the same effect. As I read articles and comments about the various European nations in regard to their immigrants, I get the impression that they are doing a good deal of floundering. The ordinary citizens don't like what is going on, but they don't know what to do about it. The Dutch have a national identity they are proud of, but they also have a belief in Liberalism and Tolerance; so in principle they believe in accepting Muslim immigrants, but then they don't really accept them because they aren't Dutch and the immigrants don't really seem to want to become Dutch, most of them -- at least they don't try as hard to become Dutch as the Dutch think they should. Surely it is one of the world's greatest honors to be Dutch, but these Muslims prefer to be something else. I have read that many Dutch are emigrating because they can't accept these Muslim immigrants who are making life miserable for them by . . . not being Dutch. A few like Fortuyn and Wilders have taken an aggressive stance against Muslim immigration. Their numbers could grow if things get worse as some observers say they must.

Lawrence

At 12:59 PM 2/25/2007, you wrote:
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:30:43 -0500, Lawrence Helm
<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Notice that there is no credence given to the enemy being real.

There's a strange article in Reuters today, showing there is at least some
Dutch resistance to loss of national identity. It's way over the top.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyid=2007-02-24T214937Z_01_L2429371_RTRUKOC_0_US-DUTCH-ISLAM.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

Geert Wilders said in an interview with the Dutch daily NRC Handelsblad
the appointment of Moroccan-born Ahmed Aboutaleb and Turkish-born Nebahat
Albayrak as junior ministers was wrong because both could have loyalties
toward countries other than the Netherlands.

In Saturday's interview, Wilders said: "I do not want to live in a country
where some day six or seven members of cabinet could be Muslim," adding
that Islamic laws were "barbaric", referring to four people who were
beheaded in Saudi-Arabia this week.

"I want to encourage Muslims to leave the Netherlands voluntarily. The
demographic development should become such, that the chance is small that
we again have two Muslims in the cabinet." About 1 million Muslims live in
the Netherlands out of a population of 16 million.

Last week Wilders called on Muslims to ditch half the teachings in the
Koran and said he would chase Islam's Prophet Mohammad out of the country
if he were alive today. The Iranian embassy called those remarks
"spiteful", while the Saudi Arabian embassy held talks over the comments
with Dutch foreign ministry officials.

____

The strangest part of the article was the brief reference to Pim Fortuyn.
It could be an E-mail signature:

Maverick politician Fortuyn broke taboos with his criticism of Muslim
immigrants before he was murdered by an animal rights activist.