[lit-ideas] C'est, pas cait

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:57:46 EST

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Is it just me?
(Ain't we got fun)  Date: 1/18/2007 3:36:38 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_rpaul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For over two weeks now, David Ritchie and I have  been quietly freezing
our metaphors off, struggling through three-inch  snow drifts, and
drinking the last of the port, while nibbling the  last of the walnuts.
Now, Paul Stone assures us that -7 C is balmy  (although he may have
said barmy). But that's still cold for the  Willamette Valley. The
coldest it got was -8. Seattle, too, has been  cold and chaotic for a
fortnight, and they've had quite a bit more  snow.

In the last couple of days there have been numerous sledding
accidents, two fatal, and enough fenders have been bent to create a
shortage of psychotherapists. A young man died when he fell through
the ice in a pond in Washington. Snow and ice makes people crazy here,
sometimes with sad results.

Today, though, it's warmed up to ca. 4  C., and there is an air
stagnation advisory. I may even take the car  out. It's not the snow
I'm afraid of--it's my fellow  citizens.

Robert Paul
watching it melt,
somewhere south of Reed  College