[lit-ideas] Re: Censorship

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:16:07 -0500

Brian:
>> With all due, my point is that the posts were nowhere near a majority
>> conservative. <<

That's certainly not my impression, but then, I pay more attention to stormy
skies than halcyon ones.  It's much too late (deleted) to go back and do a
left-right count --  maybe Mr. Camp can oblige us.  Proven wrong, I'd be
willing to apologize.

>> M.A. Camp's great failure appears to be in understanding that some in this
>> group, including its moderator, are intolerant of other points of view and
>> for the crime of not possessing those views but merely pointing out they
>> exist they are silenced.<<

I strongly disagree with Andreas' chiding or monitoring anyone on this list or
anywhere.  He is the one, however, who went out and founded the list when all
of us others were wringing our hands after David Myers, objecting to leftwing
thought, closed down Phil-Lit.  I thought that a was petty and fascist and
tawdry thing to do.  I think the same when Andreas attempts to define what's
acceptable and what's not -- we do not need his protection.  Anyone at anytime
can block M. A. Camp's posts and never know that he still exists.  It is
Andreas's call, however, and if I don't like it, I can leave and start my own
list.  I wish Andreas would reconsider.  We're all grown ups here.  I agree
with what most of the people who have weighed in on this issue have said --
that it's rude and discordant with the goals of the list to submit passages
without any comment.  There are plenty of clipping services available to us
all.  Ideas as ideas don't much impress me, ideas as they affect the lives of
people I know (people I know for the most part only as a voices on the list) do
interest me.  A certain L. H. would submit long passages from books he was
currently reading.  But he always used the passages to advance a thought or as
the springboard for a rant against Marxist-Leftist Liberals.  I enjoyed reading
his posts -- well, sometimes -- because it was interesting to see how politics
and personality and life history and values and all those things that make up a
person fit together.  Some people prefer not to be a person on line -- that's
their business as I see it.  But it seems a waste of time.  Why?  one wonders.
Does anyone seriously think they're going to convert anyone else through this
list?

Mike Geary
Memphis