[lit-ideas] Re: Can't have a gun? Get a dog

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 23:19:38 -0700

You said "(1) Andreas did not say that there was no need to sort things out
when it came to determining whether you or your dog would be 'dominant."
But that's exactly what he said:

Andreas quoted my statement:

LH> People are reacting to Eric's comment, but I took him to be speaking

LH> figuratively.   His principle is valid.  An owner must show a dominant
dog

LH > that he is boss or the dog will think he is.

Andreas then wrote:

AS: This "show 'em who's boss" theory used to be the idea in dog schools.

AS: But no longer. Professional dog trainers don't do this.

AS: By the way, it's no longer called "dog obedience school".

This is what I was responding to when I wrote the message you imagined was a
strawman but was intended as a reductio ad absurdum.  Notice the words I
wrote: "An owner must show a dominant dog that he is boss or the dog will
think he is."

Notice Andreas response: "This show em who's boss" theory used to be the
idea in dogs schools.  But no longer.  Professional dog trainers don't do
this."

And now observe that Andreas was wrong.  Professional dog trainers still do
this.  They still tell you that you have to show a dominant dog that you are
boss or he will think he is.

Lawrence