[lit-ideas] Re: Calling all computer gurus & lawyers (Andreas?)

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:12:39 -0500

I read something about RDIF's (can't remember what that stands for and I think
those are the initials).  They're laser readers sort of like bar codes only
much more, what's the word, intense.  They can be put in everything from
passports to store shelves (not products, but shelves) to monitor what people
pick up and what they don't and to automatically track what shelves were going
bare and so on.  In fact, Walmart has actually used them.  When there was an
outcry that people were being spied on, they said they had notified people that
testing was in progress.  The problem with putting them into passports is that
terrorists can pick out the Americans with a simple handheld reader because
they're not yet encrypted.  It's cradle to grave tracking, not yet widespread
but the technology is there, the way zebra readers were in the 70's.  I can't
remember where I read it.