[lit-ideas] Re: Busted by an unknown dog lady

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:20:02 -0700

Lawrence, I have news to soothe you. I spent much of the day in Powells, assessing possible titles for my course next semester which will be reassessing the Second World War. Essentially I want to convey to students what opening the Soviet archives has done to Second World War scholarship, but the students will probably be starting from zero. So who is currently on the list?

Norman Davies, "No Simple Victory"
Niall Ferguson, "The War of the World"
Niall Ferguson, "The War of the World" DVD, available Aug 12.
Basil Liddell Hart, "History of the Second World War"
John Keegan, "The Second World War"

There will be more but yes, Basil Liddell Hart, writing so long ago, made the cut. I didn't know that he taught at UC Davis.

I also liked the volume that Keegan edited on Churchill's Generals. Davies looks like a very good book. Ferguson will provide grist for the mill; it takes him four hundred pages to reach WW2.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon