[lit-ideas] Bush's Visit to Missouri

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:36:13 EDT

Hi,
Oh, it wll be intriguing to see if this potential drama can actually turn
into something for good...  I hope so.  I have done what I can in  order to be
able to at least try...

Remember I told you that GW Bush was coming to my Kansas City suburb?

Well, he did...at one of the high schools which I had thought was an odd
place--especially since it was during school hours. (Had my child been in high
school, maybe I would have been more in tune with some of this...)

Anyway...letters to the editor of the Lee's Summit Journal.  Visits to  the
Lee's Summit School Board...

Apparently the kids/parents were told it was a "presidental" visit--but the
school (or school district--no one seems to know for sure...or is telling...)
received $12,000 for letting Bush appear during the day.  The kids were  told
that they did not HAVE to attend, but NO ONE was allowed to wear a  pro-Kerry
t-shirt or anything that in anyway would be negative towards Bush (I  guess
the alternatives would be harsh...)  No kids from any of the other  two high
schools were allowed to attend unless they were going to make up  classes--but
school was not cancelled...

The people making the fuss at the school board meeting made a good point  (in
my view)--that is, since it was obviously was a campaign speech (it was--my
neighbor came home carrying signs she got while there), that the school/school
 district needed to invite John Kerry to come...(don't know if he would pay
$12,000 or not, but that is not the point...)

I called the John Kerry office today after work in order to both find out
about getting a sign for my yard (my child wants to volunteer, but I don't know

how or what we can do given my wacky schedule, but I promised we would try to
do  something...figured at the least I could get a sign since we probably
missed our  chance when the person came by with the flyers ) but also wanted to
find out if  there was anything organized being done in regards to my suburb on
this  issue.  (The volunteer manning the phones knew nothing of the whole
situation but promised to find out if the regular campaign people were aware of

it...she did not take my phone number or name, however... <sigh>

Anyway...that was kind of interesting...was happy to know I was not the  lone
voice in my suburb who was a bit disturbed at Bush using a public school
during public school hours to NOT talk about presidental sorts of things, but
give the same rhetoric he does when he campaigns.   What price will my
school district pay for its soul?  $12,000...<sigh>

But, I do hope someone somewhere will pick up this story and that John  Kerry
ends up being invited here...

Hope all is well in the cities, countries, suburbs, small towns, farms,
outer space, under the sea areas in which you all are...

Marlena in Missouri