[lit-ideas] Re: Bushism and Fascism

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 23:08:06 -0800

Several lifetimes ago, Eric wrote:

It's an effective tool for police forces and first responders, since
the coding is directly tied to law enforcement activity, but it is
utterly useless for the general public.

I read this exactly backwards, and attributed to Eric the more sensible view
that as an effective tool for the police, etc., it was utterly useless.

So, please disregard my having said to Irene that Eric and I were in agreement.

It isn't clear how the CCTW system is 'tied to law enforcement activity.' The warnings were issued by the Department of Homeland Security, and unless the DHS is part of the extension of the concept _law enforcement activity_, such activity would seem to be a result of the warnings, not the other way about. Yet it is unclear, still, how knowing that the US was officially on orange alert would guide any local police or other first responders absent something much more specific.

Robert Paul