[lit-ideas] Re: Bush the Sphinx

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:03:57 -0400

Maybe these would come in handy...not sure what to do about the dead(ly) chicken eyes, though.
http://www.wiseass.org/bullshit.html
Ursula
protected in North Bay

Michael Chase wrote:

M.C. I doubt that Bush is really all that complex. He's deeply stupid and morally base, and he's been (so far) politically successful precisely because he appeals to the lowest common denominator in the electorate : that is, what is morally base and stupid in them.

Bush is still the frat-boy campus bully, who intimidates not because he himself is physically impressive but because he's got a very rich daddy and lots of friends who are linebackers. Those of us who are what Spiro Agnew used to call "effete individuals" despise him, of course (often with just a hint of furstrated envy): but then we despised Nixon, too, and he got elected by a landslide.

Is Bush evil? That, of course, depends of your definition of evil. He is far too stupid to be able to devise any Machiavellian plans, of course, but then he's got lots of advisors who are very, very, clever, absolutely unscrupulous, and utterly fanatical in their desire to impose extremist fundamentalist Christianity at home and U.S. global hegemony abroad. Perhaps it might be claimed that it is these advisors who are truly evil, while Bush is a mere conduit without much of a personality at all.

On the other hand, perhaps evil *just is* stupidity. There is, after all, such a thing as moral, as well as intellectual, stupidity, and Bush is without doubt the most morally stupid individual in modern history. When I watch him talk, I get the same feeling as when I look straight into the eye of a chicken : there's nothing there, and that's what's terrifying.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76
7, rue Guy Moquet