[lit-ideas] Re: Bullying Iran - New York Times

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 08:56:17 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----

Mother Jones commented on it.

>> My comments were made out of prejudice, but that prejudice is based
>>  on their track record of misinformation.
>
>In other words, your answer to my question, 'What evidence do you
>have?' is, 'None.'

To the extent that one needs to read the thing to have 'evidence' to prove a
point in a debate, then correct.  But given how much there is in the world to
read and learn, and how much editorializing and misinformation instead of news
the NYT has, it's simply not worth the time.  Clearly they have enlightened no
one and helped get us into this mess in Iraq, and clearly posters are held to
higher account than the NYT.  In addition to which, I read them for years and
years.  The Sunday paper was a ritual back when I thought it was a big deal to
read the NYT.  For many years now reading *about* the NYT is as close to it as
I want or need to get.

>Thanks.
>
>Robert Paul
>The Harry Frankfurt School

Yes, I heard him interviewed on his book On Truth.  Clever connection on your
part if it's aimed at the NYT, our paper of record, which is in fact virtual
Bullshit, as is Fox.  What does that say about our country and it's news
sources?  Kind of speaks, too, to my question that if I, a regular person with
regular resources, knew full well that Iraq would be a disaster, why didn't the
NYT?  I think the Bullshit is self evident here.  BTW, did you know that 20% of
the population of this country gets all their information from news satire
shows?  I admit to hearing them only in clips when they're referred to by other
outlets, and I find the Onion tiresome.

I wonder sometimes what goes through Rupert Murdoch's head when he sees (which
hopefully he must, unless he's truly delusional) what's going on in Iraq and
the Middle East, for that matter with Australia in the forefront of the water
crisis, yet he can peddle nothing but entertainment reverential to the
administration on his outlets?  The World According to Murdoch complete with
idyllic scenes of a U.S. created paradise in Iraq.  I also heard Normal Mailer
interviewed.  Had to turn it off.  What a waste a human being that man is.
I'll bet the NYT loves him.

>Abalone, Arizona

Mm, don't get that one.