[lit-ideas] Re: British cuisine

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:20:00 -0700

I hoped to be able to supply you with an ad for Mr. Kipling but none is here:

http://www.headington.org.uk/adverts/food.htm

I do recommend, however, the ones for Fingus Fish Fingers and for Smash Instant Potato (2)..."It is called Huddersfield." The range of products remind me how truly awful the kwee-zeen was. "Tip Top Canned Desert Topping." Aaaaaaargh.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon
On Jun 1, 2006, at 3:52 AM, Simon Ward wrote:

Mr Kipling is a brand name. 'His' cakes are typically small, particularly sweet and are directed towards the lower end of the market. Adverts usually close with the line, '...but he does makes exceedingly good cakes' usually following a Victorianesque pastiche. This despite the fact that the brand was launched in 1967.