[lit-ideas] Re: Bragging Rights Are Bragging Rites

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 10:05:49 -0500

John:
Did I really say "proud of here" instead of "proud of her"? I did. How
very, very odd. Papa Freud where art thou?

Not odd -- you're 63, get used to it.  Belated happy b-day, btw.

Yes, I am proud of 'her' (Ondine), but not so much of 'here' (Memphis). But there's hope even for Memphis since I seem to be growing more tolerant as I grow older, either that or I just don't have the energy to rant so often.

I appreciate the warm reactions. I hesitated to send that to the List. Lit-Id is not a Church bulletin, after all. But on reflection, I thought of how much I enjoy reading Ritchie's personal notes about his daughters and his life travails, so, what the hell, I joined the religion. Blame Ritchie if you thought it tacky of me.

Generally speaking, I frown on Arts Awards -- unless they've given to me or my kind. And I must confess there's much of modern dance that refuses to speak to me. But give me Baryshnikov leaping lamb-like fifteen feet straight up -- now that speaks to me, or Fosse dancers dripping with sensuality, yes, I understand that, but on the whole, dance leaves me yearning for narrative. I'm pathetic, I know. However, I'm apparently beginning to get the idea because I whole heartedly agree with the Tennessee Arts Commission that Ondine is decidedly the best artist of the week. (There are so many great artists in Tennessee, that we hardly have time to savor their talents)

Mike Geary
Memphis