[lit-ideas] Re: Boxing Away from Prior Fridays

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 11:13:18 -0700

Among the things you could think about when you have nothing else to think
about, and I'm not sure I can imagine when that would be..., but let that be
for a moment and come with me on this..., among the things you could think
about is how much it costs to re-paint a commercial aircraft.  On the Obit page
of Friday's paper are a few squibs from the wire services.  Among them I found
that when United and Continental merged they paid $137 million repainting
planes and making "other merger-related changes."  Those change costs don't
include $76 million in "severance expenses for early retirements" and $7
million gain on the sale of three planes.  So, you can buy a plane for $2.5
million, but painting it...well who knows what that might cost?

On the obits side of things we find that Mr. Millard McCoy and Ms Francis
McFadden produced a daughter in Tennessee, who married a Frog, or a man of Frog
descent.  So she became a Bové, which word derives from the French for bovine.
Anything to escape being a real McCoy?  She named her daughter Renee (no
accent).  Her grandchildren reverted to heritage, with a bit of a hippy twist:
Douglas, Erin, Gaia.  In another Anglo-French heritage marriage, Lois Lamoureux
(rough transl. "Lois, she who is in love") hitched her wagon-lit to John Roland
Fagetter.  They were married thirty years, so he can't be accused of forgetting
her.  Bruce Lulow is survived by his wife of 48 years, his son and daughters,
his grandchildren, his twin sister, and his beloved Maine Coon cat, Jessie.
Will I be survived by guppies, I wonder?  "Beloved" guppies would be an
overstatement.  "Un-neglected" guppies is about it at present.

I was pretty sure I wouldn't be interested in the Olympics.  Just as I was
pretty sure I wouldn't be interested in the Royal Wedding.  And how much of the
opening extravaganza--seems about the right word in this instance-- did I
watch?  Almost all--missed the first few minutes.  "Well done those Brits," was
my reaction.  Yours?

This is Women's Weekend, which means J. and I had steak and chips and broccoli
last night, while watching "Cinderella Man," which I didn't really want to
see--not a fan of boxing--but quite liked.  L's off with her female chums,
doing whatever it is you do on a hiking weekend when your knee is not really up
to hiking.  I sincerely hope the car is not actually allergic to Fridays.  It
has failed on the four prior Fridays, but yesterday evening's phone call
suggests this week's fix is holding.

After making great progress on a play--words pouring out--on Thursday, I found
I had very little to say yesterday.  Ah well.  At least I don't have to hit
people for a living ("Cinderella Man" ref).  There'd be no steak if that were
the case.  Not a lot of chips or broccoli either.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon