[lit-ideas] Re: Bolcom and Morris - a short digression

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:31:31 -0700 (PDT)

I heard of Weird Al but I'm pretty clueless.  I'll
check him out.  Just wondering, what specifically do
you disagree with that I said about Dylan?  That I
used to think that he was a low life?  That was based
on a comment I heard him say way back which I won't go
into.  Over the years I've learned to feel sorry for
people who do/say lowlife things because I understand
that when people do/say low life things it's because
they're hurting.  So, forgive and forget and I now see
how good his music is.  I actually like Dylan.  I said
he was magic.

I like all kinds of music, except today's music.  I
have tried, yes I have tried to learn to like it but I
absolutely can't stand it for more than a minute.
Maybe I just need someone to walk me through it or
something.  Somewhere along the line I did the old
bumper sticker thing which is I stopped the world and
got off and now can't or don't want to get back on.
Part of it is that I much prefer interviews and I
hardly ever listen to music, not even when driving,
except maybe for exercise and my collection is not
extensive and I'm getting tired of it.

Anyway, I'm surprised that you don't stand up for
Elvis.  He's in the pantheon somewhere too, toward the
top of the list somewhere.  The Beatles are now
cliches, that's the only thing that's wrong with them.
 They really did some brilliant things later on after
they got past the I want to hold your hand junk.  I'm
inclined to think that all this non-narrative type
music has to be a trickle down from the earlier
disjointed art and everything from the moderns.  I
don't know where I'm going with that.  Maybe later.
And maybe not.  That's it.  Gotta go.

--- Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Irene, you do know who Weird Al Yankovic is, don't
> you?

Be a better friend, newshound, and