[lit-ideas] Re: Bob Dylan - A Poet?

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:11:56 -0700

Donal McEvoy wrote:

Dylan - 'I'm a poet/And I know it/Hope I don't blow it'

Clearly others disagree with the first bit, and the second is accordingly not
JUSTIFIED TRUE BELIEF in the Gettier sense and therefore, accordingly, false.

I'm not sure I follow this. In Gettier cases, the subject _has_ a true belief, although it's arrived at through epistemological luck, which leads to justification of a formally (at each step the subject is 'justified') but intuitively wacky sort. I hope this analysis does justice to the nuances of Gettier's insight.

My (vague) impression is that this question often tends into a pointless academic and (essentially) definitional debate about the nature of poetry (as opposed to song, to lyrics etc.). It maybe matters less whether we classify Dylan's work as being poetic as whether it has - to use broader terms that eschew a narrow definitional debate - literary and/or artistic merit.

Has anyone read Arthur Danto's The Transfiguration of the Common Place? Parallel questions arise there about deciding between art and non-art. (It turns out that everything is art once it's art.)

Is there a good answer? (That is, one where we can all trump people at
dinner-parties.)

'Boy, you're really hung up on definitions, aren't you? You'd think with their money they could spring for something better than this Algerian plonk.

Robert Paul
trying to describe the aroma of coffee