[lit-ideas] Re: Blogging

  • From: Thomas Hart <tehart@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:44:57 -0400

The problem with things like Blogger, Wordpress, Sandvox, and iWeb is that they
use tricks behind the scenes to make it easy to insert video, pictures, etc.
However, and this is a biggie, they generate code that you're not responsible
for, at least in the sense that you didn't write it directly. So if one of the
programs is discontinued, as iWeb will be at some point in the furure, you're
sort of stuck with trying to redo the web site. Plus, as far as I know, they
generate HTML 4.0 code, and the web is moving to HTML 5.0. 5 is easier to use,
and to control. For example, in 5 you can create a piece that will hide/reveal
graphics, text, etc:

<details>
<summary> This is a big list of all movies with Mickey Rooney</summary>
List of all movies with Mickey Rooney
</details>

When that code is viewed in a capable browser (Safari 5.2, 6.0, Chrome, but not
Firefox), you can click on the text in the summary and see all movies with
Mickey Rooney in a nice list. In other browsers, it will just display as a list.

To achieve the same thing in HTML 4.0 requires writing a Javascript routine.

With the shutdown of MobileMe I've had to move some 400 posts from there to my
home server, and I converted from iWeb to strict HTML 5.0 and CSS3.

I can send any interested party a copy of the stylesheet, and template that I'm
using.

"All women are created equal.
Then some become Marines"

Katy Perry video for "Part of me"