[lit-ideas] Re: Bizarre Side Effect of Drinking Coffee

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:03:16 -0400

Actually, pink grapefruit juice, or pink grapefruit, is a source of
lycopene, although nowhere near as high in it as are concentrated tomatoes
(spaghetti sauce, ketchup, etc., both of which are loaded with salt).

Ketchup has WAY more sugar -- some has fructose, some sucrose -- to be concerned about than salt.

Eating the grapefruit, if you eat it with the white membrane that surrounds
it, is also a source of pectin, a cholesterol-binding fiber, and probably
other nutrients.  Oranges are the same way.  Most people throw the membrane
away.  The fruit is almost always better than the juice, but juice is good
too.

It's just a question of timing. I can down a bevvie in 10 seconds. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to cut and eat a grapefruit. And dammit if my hands don't get all sticky -- where are those drawings of that grapefruit glove I designed?

I think since grape juice is more concentrated than grapes,

To me, grape juice tastes NOTHING like grapes. But then again, my sour concept of grapes is those nice green killer grapes. I love granny smith apples, and hard nectarines, and the skin of plums. I even eat lemons like an orange. You get the picture. In short, I don't have a sweet tooth, but I crave fruit.

Fiber is as important for heart disease prevention as are any of the other
nutrients.  Personally, I think we evolved eating fruit, not drinking
juice, so fruit is the way to go.  Juice is probably best diluted with
water, since it's high in sugar and calories.  The body just doesn't need
that much.  I think the best way to get the much-touted olive oil is to eat
olives.

If you can possibly stand the taste -- blech!!!

Nature doesn't grow anything in a bottle. See ya later.

Then how do those tiny ships get in there?

going to buy some great fruits,

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada