[lit-ideas] Re: Bizarre Side Effect of Drinking Coffee

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:29:21 -0400

Actually, pink grapefruit juice, or pink grapefruit, is a source of
lycopene, although nowhere near as high in it as are concentrated tomatoes
(spaghetti sauce, ketchup, etc., both of which are loaded with salt).
Eating the grapefruit, if you eat it with the white membrane that surrounds
it, is also a source of pectin, a cholesterol-binding fiber, and probably
other nutrients.  Oranges are the same way.  Most people throw the membrane
away.  The fruit is almost always better than the juice, but juice is good
too.  I think since grape juice is more concentrated than grapes, it might
be better, but in creating the juice, the fiber is lost, so it trades off.
Fiber is as important for heart disease prevention as are any of the other
nutrients.  Personally, I think we evolved eating fruit, not drinking
juice, so fruit is the way to go.  Juice is probably best diluted with
water, since it's high in sugar and calories.  The body just doesn't need
that much.  I think the best way to get the much-touted olive oil is to eat
olives.  Nature doesn't grow anything in a bottle.  See ya later.