[lit-ideas] Re: Believing What One Knows To Be False

evidence is where?

I found such "ideas" obscure in themsleves, a fortiori useless to organize my "experience", anothe rnotion... On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Phil Enns wrote:

JL wrote that my "Kantian extract was 'obscurus per obscurius'."

Let me paraphrase.  Ideas like 'Self' or 'World' or 'God' are useful
because they help unify and organize our experiences, but they don't
refer to actual things.  We cannot have an experience of ourself, the
world or God/Universe, but rather we have experiences that are 'mine',
are part of 'the world', and, ultimately, belong to an absolute unity.
They are useful illusions that we need because they help us in our
pursuit of further understanding.  Nevertheless, Kant warns us that we
have to remember, regardless of their usefulness, they remain
falsehoods.

Nietzsche is merely raising the question how the pursuit of Truth can
maintain its lofty status given that important parts of our lives
revolve around necessary falsehoods.  Or, to offer Nietzsche's own
words, why don't we privilege usefulness over Truth?

Truly me in Indonesia,

Phil Enns

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Signora granda, testa che massa
massa ne passa, che quasi schissa,
Dia dei sostegni de cese e palassi
Dia de le taje che su ne tien fissi
Dia de le onde che le ne fa grassi,
ne ingrassa de ogni grassia, Dia Venessia -

aàh Venessia aàh Venàssia aàh Venùsia

Andrea Zanzotto, Filò, (Sezione: Recitativo Veneziano)