[lit-ideas] Re: Beg to differ, say, about fractals

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 02:16:09 -0500

On 12/13/2010 7:53 PM, Donal McEvoy wrote:
This still leaves open, it seems to me, whether the right-angled triangle
somehow existed from the beginning and whether all we did was discover this
entity and its attendant structural properties - all of which were there from
the beginning. Or did we invent the right-angled triangle, which not only was
never perfectly physically embodied but never existed prior to our development
of this mathematical 'object' or 'concept'?

The right triangle, from before any beginning, was a set of relations such that the truth of a-squared+b-squared=c-squared, in reference to right triangles, was always the case.

However Donal also certainly knows that the word "exists" is not a predicate, nor are its verb-form declensions meaningful verbs. (Ask Robert Paul, which I have already done by asking you to do so.) "Contrite unicorns exist."

The questions seems to be, "Where does the truth of a-squared+b-squared=c-squared, in reference to right triangles, exist?"

Am I asking the right question?