[lit-ideas] Basra & elsewhere in Iraq

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 10:01:05 -0700

As I mentioned in the past I have a friend who is with the Army Corps of
Engineers in Iraq.  Here is his take on Basra:

"There are parts of Basrah where the people are anti-British for one of a
number of reasons. Some don't like the British for reasons dating back to
the earlier British control of the area, some are anti-Western or
Anti-Coalition, some are pro-Iranian agitators, etc. Some are just trouble
makers.

"I've heard many people in Basrah say they want the British to leave and be
replaced by Americans, because they want someone to do a better job of
opposing the militias. The Brits are somewhat passive in their approach to
the region. US troops would kick ass if the militias gave them an excuse.
Moderates in the city are not thrilled with the militias, Iranian influence,
etc."

In an earlier note he said the following in response to my take on the
situation over there:

"I concur. Although there are many Shiia who are pro-Iranian and favor some
sort of incorporation into Iran.

"The camps here are really not that fortified. The biggest threat to a camp
that the insurgents (or whatever you wish to call them - many are strictly
terrorists, others are criminals or smugglers) have been able to mount is a
large platoon or small company sized attack against a small isolated Iraqi
Police station. They might conceivably come up against a coalition base but
it would be a suicide attack from the beginning. I am not in the security
field, but I think the big security against armed intrusion is F-16s out of
Kuwait or Saudi Arabia with 250lb bombs. They could be airborne and overhead
in 10 to 15 minutes.

"The level of insurgency against coalition bases is pretty light. Most
experience a mortar or rocket attack weekly, sometimes several per week.
These are typically a single rocket, or 3 or 4, and often do not hit
anywhere inside the camp. The bad guys tend to pay local people a couple a
hundred bucks per rocket to do this, and it is a straight business
proposition for them. As the economy is getting a bit better, folks would
rather have a good job then risk their lives in a rocket attack.

"I think I mentioned before that many of the coalition partners are very
strict about not shooting unless shot at first, and very restrained in
response to shootings. The US policy is that anyone with a weapon is fair
game, if not identified as a "friendly". The Brits demand that the guy with
a gun be firing at you, the minute he throws his weapon down it is King's X.

"So even the pacifistic liberals sneer at the coalition forces for the
restraint they use. I tell you, it never pays to show weakness to anyone.
You might as well be ruthless and do what needs to be done, the hell with
the western media."

Lawrence