[lit-ideas] Re: Assault Crimes

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 18:49:59 +0100

LH>To Paul Stone:  In one of the articles I posted there was indication that
the U.S. looks worse in the >murder category because it counts every homicide
as a murder whereas, apparently, other nations >count them as other things.

Not quite right.  The UK counts as murder some things you'd count as
manslaughter.
(That has brought about more than one grave injustice and the system is
going to be changed.)

But here is an older article apparently by a British Doctor deploring the
situation in Britain.

Theodore Dalrymple.  You'll have read his piece so will know what violent crime
means in this context; I quote him

TD>Figures recently published by the United Nations show that Britons
TD>are now several times more likely to be the victim of every kind
TD>of violent crime, with the admittedly important exception of murder,
TD>than Americans. No house is safe from theft, no car, no possession
whatsoever.

(Yes I'd rather live here)