[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:17:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Omar Kusturica wrote:
>
> "Sorry I fail to see the ethical difference between
> the acts of torture,
> murder, mutilation etc. when committed by "the
> state" as opposed to
> being committed by individuals."
>
> Fine, but then at least have the courage of your
> convictions and admit
> that when you are whinging about what American
> soldiers are doing in
> Iraq, you are just sore because your side is losing.

*I am not sure how this follows, or should follow,
from what I said. To say that I "fail to see the
ethical difference between the acts" does not mean
that I condone either. Also, to say that ethical
difference between acts cannot be established on the
basis of who is committing them does not mean that
there cannot be other pertinent ethical distinctions.
There is of course an ethical difference between
killing Zarqawi and killing an innocent civilian and I
didn't complain, still less "whinge", about the US
killing of Zarqawi. I am not sure though that it was
necessary to kill his wife and daughter as well.
Hitting or humiliating a mortally wounded man, if it
indeed happened, is also kind of sleezy wouldn't you
say ?

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com