[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you delighted you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:54:04 -0700

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Does that sound like bells, Irene?  I was not a Monday
morning quarter back on the invasion of Iraq and can prove it.  What an
abysmal memory you have.  I read several books, the chief of which was the
excellent The Threatening Storm, the Case for Invading Iraq, by an
out-of-work Clinton administration person, Kenneth M. Pollack.  He has a
great number of reasons for invading Iraq.  I discussed them when I read his
book back prior to the invasion.

And you misunderstand, misunderstand, misunderstand.  I will repeat:  What I
did was take the climate of Leftist Opinion (witnessed here on Lit-Ideas)
and project it back into the 30s.  Given the Leftist views as voiced on
countless occasions here on lit-ideas, I observe that the Leftists
(retaining their current climate of opinion) would have opposed the war
against Hitler.  Do you think I'm wrong?  You guys would have been saying
that Roosevelt was cooking up reasons for going to war against Hitler as a
smokescreen for his acquisition of dictatorial powers - or something like
that.

And then, by the same token, given the climate of opinion of Eric and I who
are not Leftists, if we project ourselves back into the American 30s, we
would have been in the minority that supported a war against Hitler.  Do you
think that's wrong?

Do you agree that Saddam Hussein was a fascist-type dictator?

Lawrence

  _____