To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 2:27 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Are they synonymous?

Anyone can access an on-line  dictionary...

The usage of the
major newspapers in your city or state? The way guys talk in the back room of Joe's Garage? School kids? Politicians? Hispanics talking among themselves? For me, the usage on CNN, in the national newspapers (NYT, USA Today, WSJ, LA Times, Washington Post) is local usage. It's the way we talk now. Or don't. I suspect that 'local usage' when not pejorative, mostly mirrors what people hear in the media and in the popular culture.

What's it like where you are?

Robert Paul