[lit-ideas] Re: Are they synonymous?

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:20:44 -0500

This is so much not an issue in North Bay. We probably have two Cuban families. Every summer we have a group of Mexican students who come here on exchange (to study business, I think). We have some students from the Caribbean (exchanges from a sister university program) who always look pitifully frozen at the bus stop. Irrelevantly, we also have three or four black families. Southern Ontario has much more racial (can we still use that term??) diversity, but up here in the true north strong and free, we're pretty monocultural. Just different shades of pale. More's the pity...

Ursula

The usage of "hispanic" and "latino". Are they interchangeable where you are, everyone, anyone? Are there nuances to each, or ways in which they are
used differently in your area?