[lit-ideas] Re: Are they synonymous?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:12:16 -0800

On Jan 27, 2007, at 5:43 PM, Andreas Ramos wrote:

But speaking Spanish doesn't mean you can talk with any Latino. Often, I barely understand Mexicans. They use so much slang. I've watched Argentinian movies and I miss perhaps half of it, due to local slang. Colombians seem to speak entirely in slang. One of the things that really surprised me is that Spaniards generally don't speak Spanish. Only Madrileños speak Castellano. Everyone else speaks the local dialects of their province, such as Catalan. Those are difficult to understand in spoken conversation.

If you speak either Danish, you can understand Norwegian and Swedish. Amusingly, Norwegians and Swedes can't understand Danish pronunciation. They are really annoyed by the refusal of Danes to speak properly.

Given the history of languages, dialects and identities, should we be surprised? I imagine (I only know a little of the academic literature on the subject) American English to be unusual among world languages, a truly national and quite democratic--by which I mean no academy or brahmin class controls it-- version of Hoch Deutsch, a language everyone more or less understands and has done so for some considerable time. In other parts of the world, what you say and how you say it are greater declarations of allegiance than is the case here.

David Ritchie,
making it up as he goes along in
Portland, Oregon