[lit-ideas] Answer for Judy and others

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:49:15 -0500

I originally sent this on Jan. 25th.  Then I sent it on Jan. 26th.  But it
doesn't get on the list.  This is my third try.
It does show up in my Sent List but not on Incoming mail, so I gave it a
different subject heading.

Judy:Oh sorry, I meant, so now you've read Sayeed Warsi's speech you've
modified your views.

I don't need to modify my views as I have never condemned bigotry.  Or hatred
against any person.  What I have said is that I disapprove of some religious
practices.  And the intrusion of religion into government.

I liked the Baroness's speech very much.   I regret that you didn't catch some
of her comments re the meaning of "phobia."  She says it's irrational fear.  I
stated why I fear religions, Christianity also, because of what they do, not
because of what I imagine.  I was caught by surprise re Disraeli, who, even
though prime minister, was depicted as a bag man.  And right here is a big part
of my point.  Did any Jews then threaten the life of any editor who allowed
this?  Did Jews assemble as a mob at a newspaper office?  Did they blow up a
bus?  See the difference?  I know only a few Muslims did this.  Most of the
rest are silent because they are afraid too.

Re her comments of the Catholic president in the TV show "West Wing"  I thought
was perfect.  It shows the difference between what we allow in Western
countries regardless of what it says in the Bible, it is not the same in many
Arab countries re what it says in the Koran.  So she makes one of my points
herself.

If it's OK for Toynbee and Liddle to admit to Islamophobia I guess they are
saying they are afraid of Islam but don't know why.  I have stated why I am
afraid.  So it's not a phobia.  I wonder how the British services responsible
for the safety of their citizens get information about terrorists if people
want to attack Muslims in Britain?

The speech B. Warsi gave was very good.  I like her thoughtfulness.  But she is
incapable of seeing what others see in Islam.  But the biggest problem is that
she is fighting a losing battle when a Muslim stands up and says something like
London belongs to everyone or to Muslims because God says so.

I am one of those who feels sorry when I see a Muslim a woman in a local park
in a black chador, with her whole body covered except her face, pushing a
little kid on a swing when the temperature is 95 degrees and the humidity is 89
%.  Also, as a bike rider, one of the joys of life is feeling the wind blow
through one's hair.  I wish she could experience it too.  So it's not disdain
or disapproval as much as sympathy.

As concerning religion's destructive power in politics, did you notice the
silence concerning the mosque in New York.?  No more political use for
Christians at the moment for attacking the mosque or the intention of the
Muslims.  When there is political use, the attacks will resurface.  In the
meanwhile, religion is playing an increasing role in my government which I
consider destructive.  If you have time,  watch what the US House of
Representatives is introducing for passage.  Also you might know that "C
Street", a boarding house for conservative Congressmen, is so powerful that it
has gotten attention from people as powerful as Hilary Clinton.
And I don't mean negative attention.  They have to be catered to.  I could go
and and on re the speech but I am not going to live forever, so I will leave it
at that.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI